Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rest Day(s)

Taking today as an off-day to begin the "pre-race" rest period - if time permits I'll try and get a light workout in tomorrow evening but want to make sure I'm feeling rested for the weekend race.  We have a bit of a "bug" going around the house and my son has it now but is still focused on doing the 5-K on Sunday.  Now I'm hoping I miss the bug all together - that would be a real dissapointment after all the preparation and mental "hype" I've put myself through.  Did get a short run in yesterday (Wed) waiting for the ferry, 3.5 miles so I've logged in 20-miles week-to-date which should set me up for Sunday...I hope.

One final thought I will post is that I was convicted earlier this week about all my focus, energy, excitement, and thoughts on the upcoming race - why don't I have that same level of expectation in my walk with God?  Each day is a new race with it's individual challenges, opportunities, and hurdles.  If I spend the same amount of time and energy preparing for each coming day with God, the way I do for this race, what would my life look like?  I'll answer that it would look very different, I do spend time each day in God's word and praying, but honestly, not to the same extent that I do in any of my training runs.  Just as I set aside time on the weekend to get my "long run" in and  commit 2-hours of time to the run, why do I struggle doing the same time in prayer and seeking God - I know for a fact my week will look different if I was committed to setting that time aside on a Sunday afternoon or evening.

Well, it is good to prepare and train - both physically and spiritually, in  I Timothy 4:8 the apostle Paul even says that exactly, BUT he does emphasize that the latter is more important than the former.  So food for thought for all of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment