Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Tradition

Christmas traditions are great and I think we just started a new one. My sons and I ran the Kirkland 12K’s of Christmas yesterday and we had a blast. It is a highly recommended race and the 12K distance, for me, made it a bit more than just a fun run. Although 7-8 miles is a solid training run for me, getting into the race environment dials things up and I can’t seem to help pushing hard to pass the person in front of me, or catch the person on the next hill that just passed me! I was pleased overall with my time of 1:00:50 for the 7.5miles which my Garmin says was an 8:04 mpm. The first half of the course was more hilly than I expected so that was a surprise and drained me a bit, since I came out too fast expecting more of a flat course. The boys did great, and of course beat their old man by a long shot, my oldest son came in around 7:10mpm and my 17-year old son was around 7:30 mpm – well done boys. To make the day complete my wife and daughter came to cheer us on and although the forecast called for rain/snow showers that morning, we had cold but sunny weather. The ladies enjoyed the crowd, the sun, and some very warm cups of coffee and hot chocolate. After the race we headed over to Bellevue and had lunch and then shot over to the U-District to meet my nephew for coffee, we haven’t seen him in over 3-years so it was great to catch up and connect.
Father & sons
 
Resting today but have the remainder of the week off work so I’m looking forward to getting some sleep, enjoying my family, digging into the bible for some quality time in the Word and prayer, and getting some solid workouts in. My miles have slipped the last 3-weeks with long hours at the office and holiday events in the evening – I did feel that during the race, not so good. Hoping to get 35-40 miles in this week and get back on track. My wife got some fun pictures from the race – I’ll post those tonight. God has blessed me with a great family and three kids that are genuinely wonderful people and fun to be with – you know the kinda people I would want to be friends with even if they weren’t my kids – God is so good to me.

Ben going strong

Blake finishes
 














Old dog finishes at 1:00:50

No comments:

Post a Comment