Thursday, December 2, 2010

Running, Family, and Shepherds

Haven’t posted all week and here it is Thursday morning – life has been very busy between God, family, work, and running. As previously posted, got a 13.5 mile run in over the weekend – Monday night I had a board meeting so didn’t have time to run but I did get quick runs in on Tues and Wed in Seattle while waiting for the ferry. Tuesday night got 4.25 miles in and Wed got 4.15 miles – short runs but I was pleased with the pace I kept on both. Tuesday night I ran an avg pace of 8:06/mile and Wed night 7:52/mile. It’s nice to see some progress in pace, especially after a slower long run on the weekend. Also, I’m now about 3-weeks out from the 12-K race the boys and I will be running – my goal is to cover the distance with an average pace under 8-minutes/mile.

Most of my recent posts have been exclusively running – other things going on right now is my oldest son is in the process of enlisting in the Marines. We are very proud of him and the fact that he is choosing to serve. Of course as parents we worry but I am convinced that God will watch over this young man. Jeremiah 29:11 declares that God “knows the plans He has for us, plans to prosper, not to harm” and I claim that for my son. My second son is a Senior in High School and he too wants to go into the Marines – which we honor as well. We have asked him to take 6-12 months after graduating to either work, take some college classes or do a short term mission trip. Mostly I am asking him to take some time, seek God’s direction, and then move in that direction. So, big things going on in our house to say the least.

Finally, God has been teaching me many things – I’ve realized my time praying has been lacking, I mean really praying; speaking, waiting and listening for God. I’m reading in the gospel of John right now and recently read in john chapter 10 the “Good Shepherd” – it is a beautiful picture of the love of Christ for us but I was also struck by the sheep. Sheep will follow the voice of the Shepherd they spend time with – they follow that shepherd because they know the voice and the only way to “know a voice” is to hear it repeatedly over time. In short, I want to hear God’s voice and I need to spend the time with him so I’ll hear and know His voice. It is my heart’s desire to live within His will and plans – I’ve proven to myself too many times what a mess of things I can make when I operate in my own knowledge. God’s word promises that He will hear our prayers and He is anxious to answer and be with us. I am encouraged and believe that God has some great and exciting things in store for me – God Reigns!

No comments:

Post a Comment