Saturday, August 7, 2010

Rainy weekend

Friday and Saturday had me in the gym for some cross training and lighter workouts.  I've developed a small "strain" in my upper thigh / hip that I can run through but is very uncomfortable, especially the first 3-minutes of my runs.  So, hit the gym and got some work done on the eliptical and some light running on the treadmill - my hope is to keep the cardio going but give the legs and joints a bit of rest.

Today my 13- year old daughter joined me at the gym and we worked the machines side-by-side, it was fun to be together and share the workout.  I commented in an earlier post that my 17-year old son is starting to run a bit now too.  He will be going into his senior year of High School and since we homeschool we talked about his PE requirement being filled through running this coming year.  We will pick 3-5 races through the school year, each progressively longer.  The "final exam" of either a Half or full Marathon is still under review but this will be a lot of fun and if we get the races picked in August we'll have the goals mapped out.  I think he is excited about this and I'm honored that he wants to do this together.  Being a father is a real blessing and helps me get greater insight into the father-heart of God, just as I get real joy from my child wanting to spend time and be with me, I see how God enjoys and finds His joy when I spend time with Him; reading His word and praying - I'm reminded of 1Timothy 4:8 which says "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

No comments:

Post a Comment