Sunday, August 1, 2010

Weekend Events

A great evening on Sat running the Seafair 8-k with my son. I was happy with my time 38:30 / 7:45-pace (official race results - Garmin showed a bit faster time), more to comment on that. On the flip side, my son did a 6:48 mile and didn't train at all - well done Blake! The whole family came over to cheer us on and then we had a celebration dinner at Red Robin. A great evening all around with some good pictures to remember.

One of the things that strikes me is the significant improvement in my pace/time in a race environment vs routine training. The energy and excitement coupled with being surrounded by people with the same interest and passion often brings out the best in us, in any circumstance. In this instance I realized I focus on what I'm doing, don't get distracted or weighted down, simply concentrate on the task at hand and push hard - in one sense I play off the strength and pace of those around me. It is a lot like our walk with Christ and being part of the church. We are called to be of "one mind in the things of Christ" and I'm struck with Hebrews 12:1 which says "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles..". This is very much like what it means to be a Christian and part of the church - we should all be encouraging each other, the strong/mature pulling and motivating the others along, all the way down the line. We as people are not meant to operate alone, we thrive and grow in community, be it the church or a race, and that is how God has created and designed the world. A great picture and one that should be an encouragement to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment