Saturday, October 16, 2010

Father & Son Run

What a great day it was! A beautiful fall day with the sun shining but a briskness in the air that is nothing but Autumn. It was cool with a high in the low 50’s so a perfect running day for me. Started the morning walking to the coffee shop with my wife and then down to the beach to talk and pray together, a very peaceful place to be and much needed time together before our God.

As I’ve mentioned before, my second son is a senior in High School and since we homeschool he has opted for a running program for his PE credits this year. Our Bellingham races were the first test, he passed the 5K with flying colors so now needed to start pushing up his mileage in preparation for the next “exam”, a 10K. I wanted to get some decent miles in and had decided on a route that would provide 8 – 9.5 miles in total. I asked my son if he wanted to come and to my pleasant surprise he said, “sure”. He has done a max of 5.5 miles before so this was going to be a good stretch and test for him which he of course passed with flying colors. The last mile of almost any of my “neighborhood routes” is a 1-mile hill that is a 200’ climb in elevation. So 7.5 miles in I’m plodding up that hill and my son takes off at easily 1-minute per mile faster pace (yes, he asked “if I was ok with him going on ahead”-ohh to be 17 again but I appreciated him asking!) and he finished strong and well ahead of me. It was a great run, enjoyed doing it with my son, we had a perfect day to be together, it couldn’t have been better (except me being able to keep pace with him at the end, dream on huh?)

After the run we headed over to Silverdale to upgrade his phone (the highlight of the day for him I’m sure), spend time waving political signs for credit in his US Government class, get the oil changed in the car, and then watch my other son play in indoor soccer game. So a full and very enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment