Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week recap & Fog

A good weekend and an extra day to enjoy, taking Monday off – yipeee! Because of work schedule and family meetings my last run was Tuesday and I was anxious to get on the road this weekend. Actually the stress load had gotten to me and I woke up Sat with very tight shoulders and a headache. Worked on getting the headache gone and hit the road early afternoon. It was rainy but I enjoyed being out and put in 10-miles, it felt great. Today (Sun) did another 7-miles in a mix of rain and sun – don’t mind the rain anymore, just enjoy being out and running. After a great morning in Church I had lots to think and pray about so it was a good run all around. Tomorrow my son and I are heading to the running store, he needs shoes and I’m getting a head-lamp so I can run in the dark, looking forward to a morning with him.

Riding the ferry to work Thursday morning, the sky was brightening with the sunrise and as the ferry turned out of Eagle Harbor I found we were running parallel to a low fog bank – I could see the sunrise in the East  over the top of the fog but the ferry was running 50yds outside the fog bank, to get to my destination I knew we needed to turn into it, if we didn’t turn into it and fully commit, we would not have gotten to the destination –So, I wondered, if I was driving the boat would I be worried or cautious about going into the fog or anticipatory with the mystery and wonder? The thought came to me that my comfort place would likely be where I could see the sky, what lies in front of me, and the life around me, not in the fog bank. In the fog bank the world around me disappears and I am fully engulfed in the presence of the fog – at that point my progress becomes dependant on tools, not my sight or my instincts. I recalled that when God led Israel He was a cloud by day – once I pictured the fog as an image of God it became very inviting and the thought of being totally “enveloped” by the fog/God was wonderful. The fog limits my vision but God has given me the compass/radar to Navigate safely – the bible and his Holy Spirit – if I trust in both of those I am promised that I will get to my destination safely. This was just a great reminder to me of how God loves us so much, He uses simple things like a fog bank to drive my thoughts back to Him and His faithfulness (by the way, once the ferry got over to Seattle it was sunny and clear, a beautiful morning reflecting the gift of a new day and the goodness of God.)

No comments:

Post a Comment